While furnaces are designed to withstand many years of heavy use, they will eventually wear out. However, furnaces are expensive pieces of equipment, and it can be challenging to decide when it’s time to invest in a new unit.
So, how do you know when your unit is getting old? Generally, furnaces will last anywhere from 15 to 30 years before giving out. If your unit is within this age range, it may be useful to keep an eye on its condition to watch for signs that it’s wearing out. That way, you can ensure your home will always be properly heated without wasting money on high utility bills or needless repairs.
How Do You Know When to Replace Your Furnace?
If your furnace is old but still functioning flawlessly, you can probably get some more use out of it before needing to purchase a new unit. However, if your furnace is wearing out, then it may be time to consider a replacement. Here are some of the top signs that your furnace needs to be replaced:
- Your energy bills are going up. If your utility bills are gradually climbing even though you aren’t increasing your usage, it could be a sign that your furnace is no longer functioning efficiently. A new unit could save you money in the long run by cutting down your energy bills.
- You’ve needed 3 or more repairs in the last year. Frequent repairs are a big sign that your furnace is wearing out. If your furnace has needed three or more repairs in the last year, it might be worth investing in a new unit rather than paying for constant servicing.
- You need a repair that costs over $1,000. Some repairs are quick, easy, and relatively inexpensive. Others, however, can be quite costly. If you need a repair that will cost over $1,000, it may be more valuable to put that money toward a new furnace.
- You see rust or corrosion on the unit. Rust and corrosion are bound to happen after a lot of regular use. However, if you see rust on the outside of your furnace, there is likely rust on the inside too. Corrosion can weaken parts, which may lead to poor performance or costly repairs over time.
- Your furnace is noisier than usual. A lot of old furnaces make strange noises as they wear out. If your unit is old and begins making clunky, whiny, or banging noises, you may want to assess the condition of your furnace or consider replacing it.
- Rooms aren’t heating evenly. If your furnace isn’t able to evenly distribute heat throughout your home, then it could be wearing out. To ensure your home is properly and efficiently heated, it may be worth looking into repairs or a new unit.
The heat exchanger is failing. A cracked or failing heat exchanger creates a significant risk of carbon monoxide leaks, which can have devastating effects on your health. If your heat exchanger isn’t working, it’s time to buy a new furnace.
Ready for a quote?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you back in 30 minutes or less!
Consult a Dependable Furnace Expert
Choosing to invest in a new furnace is a big decision, and it can be stressful if you aren’t entirely sure whether or not your unit can be saved. At Vanport Mechanical here in Vancouver WA, we want to help you make the best decision for your home and finances. Our experienced technicians are trusted throughout the Pacific Northwest for their reliable and friendly service, and we can help assess your unit to determine if it’s time to invest in a new furnace. Just give us a call to get started!
How Long Do Furnaces Last? in Vancouver WA and Portland OR
Serving The Greater Vancouver WA and Portland OR Areas